Wednesday, November 12, 2014

English Only Please – 13 Methods for Monolingual Classes

English Only Please – 13 Methods for Monolingual Classes
... Dictionaries!In the last ten years, at least in my classroom, dictionary use (and I’m talking aboutbook dictionaries) has declined to virtually nil. I’ve tried and tried, but the students don’t seem to see the point. Their cellphone may have a dictionary on it (of which more in another article) or they might never have developed the habit of using one. Having one to hand helps to avoid diverting to L1 if the student doesn’t know a particular word. “Hang on... let me look it up,” could be an early phrase they learn. ...

... No TranslationA tendency for lower-level students is to translate new words for their friends. This isvery damaging to the learning process, in my experience, and sets a precedent that translation is the fastest, and therefore best way to learn a new word. I use the ‘green nose’ principle, or just look severely disappointed. Either gets the message across! ...

No comments:

Post a Comment